Monday, October 1, 2007

A Letter to the Editor

Hey there, true believers!

Are you tired of me? Are you sick of my lies and deceit, and my excuses? Well then I free you! Be slaves to me no longer, for those that believe not the truth shall believe not anything.

I am sick of being lame. I want to create something epic, something that people will tell their friends about, something tangible that I can be proud of. I have poems, but I don't think anyone actually likes them as poems. I think people mostly read them and say "That's good, for someone who isn't really a poet." I need to change that. Not necessarily with poems, but with something. I need to write something that people will like, possibly even love. Something that will capture the hearts of millions, or, failing that, hundreds, even tens.

But what do I write?
Also: where? No one reads this little blog thing. The true believers I address are none other than my sister and perhaps some lonely soul who wandered into the Internet, hoping only to find someone slightly more pathetic than themselves. I am glad to know that I have delivered!

People seem to like fantasy. I like fantasy. Maybe if I write something fantastical people will like me. But is that really it? I don't care if they like me, just as long as they appreciate what I've written. I am mostly worried that what I write will be unoriginal...simply a mash of everything I've ever read. Perhaps that is enough...perhaps that is original. Perhaps what I need to do is write something that I want to read.

Perhaps.

Reading in Bed - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton

1 comment:

photoholly said...

What's wrong with a mish mash? I did learn lots from my creative writing class too. Start with journalling, you can't go wrong with writing your feelings down. Write for yourself, who cares what everyone else thinks. Most people can't write a sentence so what would they know about writing a story or a poem? Love you.